What 3 Things Are Causing Your Skin To Age The Most?

Reading an article the other day, a celebrity dermatologist stated that only ‘20% of the way you age is down to genetic factors and the other 80% is governed by lifestyle factors such as smoking and sun damage’.

While I’m not sure that I agree with the 20/80 ratio, I do agree that lifestyle factors play a part in the aging game – especially when it comes to skin.

We can all agree that sun damage is a bad thing. Now, there are more sun blocks and screens than you can count, along with clothing with sun blocking abilities. Tanning salons are not as popular as they once were and soon minors will be banned from them (yeah!!). But skin cancer is still on the rise and you need to be diligent about wearing protection.

If you are a smoker, it’s getting harder and harder to find a place to light up. It’s bad for your health and it shows in your skin by reducing the amount of oxygen your skin receives. With most smokers, eventually the skin will have a yellowish tinge to it with premature wrinkles.

And while it’s not new news, we need to take this one as seriously as the other two – SUGAR! Trust me when I say that I’m a sugar eater just like you! Giving up my sugary ‘concoction’ after dinner will be a hard one, but it has to be done!

Otherwise, it’s saggy, tough skin…breakouts with no end…skin diseases requiring prescription medication to control. It’s true – the more we learn about what we are eating and how it effects us, the scarier a sugary and/or high carb diet looks…..literally.

It isn’t that hard to make small changes that will make a big difference.

If you don’t know where to start, here are a few of my favorite sites that have helped me along the way. And remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Start slowly and don’t beat yourself up (or simply give up) when you fail.

http://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/ – this site usually has the trendiest ways to eat healthy.

http://paleogrubs.com/ – while I’m not on a 100% paleo diet, this site helps me find ideas and/or recipes to cut out the bad stuff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/taste/ – recipes and ideas from around the world are regularly posted on the Huff.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/what-to-eat/ – if you want to go ‘all in’, this is the site for you!

 

**don’t forget to check back in Monday morning for my review on the hottest (and most affordable) product line ever!!

 

Until next time….

Leave a Reply